United Kingdom and Ireland
For details of guides and textbooks on genealogy and family history, see the Genealogy section.
- Internet Archive Texts - "The Internet Archive Text Archive contains a wide range of fiction, popular books, children's books, historical texts and academic books"
- Open Library - "an interface to the published books on archive.org and links to other online book collections"
- HathiTrust - contains over 10 million digitised volumes, including many (all?) of Google Book's and the Internet Archive's available full texts, but also a lot of volumes related to history and genealogy from other sources.
- Google Books Library Project- "An enhanced card catalog of the world's books . . If the book is out of copyright, you'll be able to view and download the entire book"
- Bibliography of British and Irish History - "The Bibliography of British and Irish History (BBIH) replaced the RHS Bibliography on 1 January 2010. It contains all of the data previously available in the RHS Bibliography, including its partner projects, London’s Past Online and (up to the end of 2009) Irish History Online. It covers not only British and Irish domestic history, but also the history of British and Irish relations with the rest of the world, including the British empire and the Commonwealth. . .Subscriptions are available to institutions and individuals."
- The on-line Books Page provides links to many thousands of on-line publications.
- The Clique - Booktrade and Library Information Services. "Booktrade information for British booksellers, librarians, learned, literary and historical societies, associations and their members for over a century." Information relating to old, rare and out-of-print books in Britain and lists of societies, booksellers and libraries etc.
- The Victorian Women Writers' Project aims "to produce highly accurate transcriptions of works by British women writers of the 19th century".
- The British Book Trade Index, or BBTI, is an index of the names and brief biographical details and trade details of people who worked in the book trade in England and Wales and who were trading by 1851.
- The Exeter Working Papers in British Book Trade History provided by Ian Maxted.
- The New General Catalog of Old Books and Authors aims to catalog all deceased authors, and all authors of books published before 1964, as an aid to determining copyright status.
- A very large collection of out-of-copyright books is made available by the Internet Archive.
- The Archive CD Books Project - "The Archive CD Books Project began in the UK in March 2000 making reproductions of old books, documents and maps available on CD to genealogists and historians while co-operating with libraries, museums and record offices by providing money to renovate items in their collections and by donating books to their collections."
- The History Press. "the UK's largest local and specialist history publisher".
- Halsgrove Publishing's Community History Series.
- Many genealogy and history reprints in printed and CD form are available from Quintin Publications.
- Biblio.co.uk - "Biblio offers over 85 million used, rare and out-of-print books."
- Abe Books - "the world's largest online marketplace for books"
- BookFinder - "A one-stop search site that lets users view the collections of over 50,000 sellers of new, used, rare, and out of print books."
- ibooknet - "A cooperative of independent British Isles based booksellers."
- AddAll - "Book Search and Price Comparison."
Return to top of page
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.
[Last updated: 18 Aug 2014 Brian Randell]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.