United Kingdom and Ireland
For details of guides and textbooks on genealogy and family
history, see the Genealogy
- Internet Archive Texts - "The Internet Archive Text Archive contains a wide range of fiction, popular books, children's books, historical texts and academic books"
- Open Library - "an interface to the published books on archive.org and links to other online book collections"
- HathiTrust - contains over 10 million digitised volumes, including many (all?) of Google Book's and the Internet Archive's available full texts, but also a lot of volumes related to history and genealogy from other sources.
- Google Books Library Project- "An enhanced card catalog of the world's books . . If the book is out of copyright, you'll be able to view and download the entire book"
Historical Society Bibliography - "The Bibliography of British
and Irish History provides bibliographic data on historical writing
dealing with the British Isles, and with the British Empire and
Commonwealth, during all periods for which written documentation is
available - from 55BC to the present. It is the successor to the
Royal Historical Society Bibliography of British and Irish History,
available online from 2002 to 2009". (From Jan 2010 the service
ceased to be available free of charge.)
- The on-line
Books Page provides links to many thousands of on-line
- The Clique - Booktrade and
Library Information Services. "Booktrade information for
British booksellers, librarians, learned, literary and historical
societies, associations and their members for over a century."
Information relating to old, rare and out-of-print books in Britain
and lists of societies, booksellers and libraries etc.
- The Victorian
Women Writers' Project aims "to produce highly accurate
transcriptions of works by British women writers of the 19th
- The British Book Trade
Index, or BBTI, is an index of the names and brief biographical
details and trade details of people who worked in the book trade in
England and Wales and who were trading by 1851.
- The Exeter Working
Papers in British Book Trade History provided by Ian
- The New General
Catalog of Old Books and Authors aims to catalog all deceased
authors, and all authors of books published before 1964, as an aid
to determining copyright status.
- A very large collection of out-of-copyright books is made
available by the Internet Archive.
Archive CD Books Project - "The Archive CD Books Project began
in the UK in March 2000 making reproductions of old books,
documents and maps available on CD to genealogists and historians
while co-operating with libraries, museums and record offices by
providing money to renovate items in their collections and by
donating books to their collections."
- The History Press. "the UK's largest local and specialist history publisher".
- Halsgrove Publishing's Community History
- Many genealogy and history reprints in printed and CD form are
available from Quintin
- UKBookWorld - "A central
website containing a searchable database of over a million of old
and out-of-print books offered for sale by a large number of
independent British booksellers."
- Abe Books - "the world's
largest online marketplace for books"
- "Bibliofind has combined with Amazon.com to provide millions of
rare, used, and out-of-print books through the world's No.1 online
- BookFinder - "A
one-stop search site that lets users view the collections of over
50,000 sellers of new, used, rare, and out of print books."
- ibooknet - "A
cooperative of independent British Isles based booksellers."
Return to top of page
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be
used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions
concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on
individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered
to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation
that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence
threaten its whole future.
17 Apr 2013 Brian Randell]