Search the GENUKI GazetteerEnter the name of the place you wish to find in the Place name box, then click the Search button. The results can be displayed in a choice of formats and if too many matches are found you can refine your selection.
- Plot places on a map - A Google map is displayed with all the places matching your search criteria marked upon it. A list of the matches, ordered by county, appears on the right. You can click these to get to the Genuki page covering that area.
- Tabular list ordered by county - The tabular list provides links to:
- The appropriate Genuki county page.
- A page of information generated dynamically from gazetteer based information, showing its physical location on a map with links to various other online maps etc.
- The Genuki page containing information we have about that place and useful genealogical resources for it.
- List of nearby places - If more than one match is made, you are presented with list of places ordered by distance from London, England. Or if you are restricting searches to an individual county from the county town. If there is only one match, or once you have selected from the list a page is displayed showing where your place is, and also a list of all the nearby places in the gazetteer.
CountyBy default a search is made throught the UK and Ireland. Select an entry from the county list to restrict your search to places within that county.
Search typeBy default matches are made between the place name you entered and distinct words in the gazetteer entries. So if you enter
Harwoodit would match
Great Harwoodas well as just
Harwood. You can select different search types against the place name field to be more or less selective in trying to find the place you are searching for.