The GENUKI Gazetteer covers the
whole of England, Ireland, Wales, Scotland and the Isle of Man. We have good coverage of place names in England, Scotland, Wales
and the Isle of Man. Information for Ireland though is not as complete as we would like to provide.
Unfortunately we have not been able to locate information for the Channel Islands. You can use the gazetteer to find the
location of places, view online maps
and discover which Genuki pages may contain information about that place and the genealogial resources which are available for it.
Search the GENUKI Gazetteer
Enter the name of the place you wish to find in the Place name
then click the Search
The results can be displayed in a choice of formats
if too many matches are found you can refine your selection
- Plot places on a map - A Google map is displayed with all the places matching your search criteria marked upon it. A list of the matches,
ordered by county, appears on the right. You can click these to get to the Genuki page covering that area.
- Tabular list ordered by county - The tabular list provides links to:
- The appropriate Genuki county page.
- A page of information generated dynamically from gazetteer based information, showing its physical location on a map with
links to various other online maps etc.
- The Genuki page containing information we have about that place and useful genealogical resources for it.
- List of nearby places - If more than one match is made, you are presented with list of places ordered by
distance from London, England. Or if you are restricting searches to an individual county from the county town. If there is only one match, or once you have selected from the list a page is displayed showing
where your place is, and also a list of all the nearby places in the gazetteer.
By default a search is made throught the UK and Ireland. Select an entry from the county list to restrict your search
to places within that county.
By default matches are made between the place name you entered and distinct words in the gazetteer entries. So if you enter
Harwood it would match
Little Harwood and
Great Harwood as well as just
You can select different search types against the place name field to be more or less selective in trying to find the place you are searching for.
Links are provided into online maps from the gazetteer results pages. This is done by clicking on grid references or
following links to Gazetteer page
. On gazetteer screens showing Google maps, if you click the icons on the
screen, they will display a bubble conatining a link to the Gazetteer page
for that place.
The gazetteer is managed by individual county page maintainers and there is a more detailed description of
how it is maintained
which is really only relevant to them. There are also
including the number of places recorded for each county.