We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
UK and Ireland: Maps
- An extremely useful set of maps showing parish boundaries, on a one inch to the mile scale, is now available on CD-ROM - see:
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.
- The Landmark Information Group sell online 19th Century Ordnance Survey maps linked from an extensive gazetteer. These are at a scale of 1:10,560 (6 inches to the mile) and cover all of Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales).
- Maps showing the counties in England, Scotland and Wales and in Ireland prior to the 1974 re-organisation (1975 for Scotland). These maps show the familiar three-letter Chapman Codes.
- The National Library of Scotland provides scanned map images of various series of Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, England and Wales.
- Genmaps - a very large collection of scanned maps of England, Wales and Scotland.
- County maps, showing the parish boundaries, the probate jurisdiction, and the date of commencement of registers, are available from The Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies .
- The Bodleian Library Map Room.
- Streetmap.co.uk provides up-to-date street maps for all of mainland Britain. A similar service is provided by Multi Media Mapping and Bing.
- A modern map of the United Kingdom.
- The Association of British Counties website includes a very useful map showing the 86 historic counties of Great Britain.
- Alan Gresley provides a set of high quality scans of maps from Baedeker's Great Britain, Handbook for Travelers by Karl Baedeker (7th ed., 1910).
- The Great Britain Historical Geography Information Service (GBHGIS) provides a mass of information about Britain's localities as they have changed over time. Information comes from census reports, historical gazetteers, travellers' tales and historic maps.
- A Vision of Britain Through Time, in the GBHGIS, provides maps and statistical information derived from census reports covering the period 1801-2001, searchable by place name or post code.
- Geography and National Statistics - explanatory pages from The Office of National Statistics
- Cassini publish historical Ordnance Survey maps of England and Wales that have been scanned, digitally re-projected and enlarged to match the present-day Landranger © series - and provide Mapmaker, a web-based search facility that allows a user to centre a map on a postcode or placename, ready for downloading or printing.
- British Isles Maps and Views - "free access to high quality scans of rare and beautiful antique maps and views", from MAPCO.
- Detailed scans of 1950s Ordnance Survey Maps - the New Popular Edition (in England and Wales), and the earlier sheets from the 7th Edition (in Scotland / Northern England).
- Detailed scan of the Map of England & Wales by S. Lewis & Co., London c1840, provided by MAPCO.
- Digimap - a subscription service available to UK Higher Educational Institutions that provides online access to "all available County Series maps at 1:2,500 and 1:10560 scales published between 1843 and 1939; and all available National Grid maps at 1:1,250, 1:2,500 and 1:10560/10,000 scales published from 1945".
- FamilySearch's Maps facility can be used to find parishes and see their parish boundaries overlaid on a modern Ordnance Survey map