United Kingdom and Ireland
- An extremely useful set of maps showing parish boundaries, on a one inch to the mile scale, is now available on CD-ROM - see:
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.
- The Landmark Information Group sell online 19th Century Ordnance Survey maps linked from an extensive gazetteer. These are at a scale of 1:10,560 (6 inches to the mile) and cover all of Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales).
- Maps showing the counties in England, Scotland and Wales and in Ireland prior to the 1974 re-organisation (1975 for Scotland). These maps show the familiar three-letter Chapman Codes.
- The National Library of Scotland provides scanned map images of various series of Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland, England and Wales.
- Genmaps - a very large collection of scanned maps of England, Wales and Scotland.
- County maps, showing the parish boundaries, the probate jurisdiction, and the date of commencement of registers, are available from The Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies .
- The Bodleian Library Map Room.
- Streetmap.co.uk provides up-to-date street maps for all of mainland Britain. A similar service is provided by Multi Media Mapping and Bing.
- A modern map of the United Kingdom.
- Deana Fowler has digitised the 1931 Ordnance Survey Map of Roman Britain and has made it available online.
- The Association of British Counties website includes a very useful map showing the 86 historic counties of Great Britain.
- Alan Gresley provides a set of high quality scans of maps from Baedeker's Great Britain, Handbook for Travelers by Karl Baedeker (7th ed., 1910).
- The Great Britain Historical Geography Information Service (GBHGIS) provides a mass of information about Britain's localities as they have changed over time. Information comes from census reports, historical gazetteers, travellers' tales and historic maps.
- A Vision of Britain Through Time, in the GBHGIS, provides maps and statistical information derived from census reports covering the period 1801-2001, searchable by place name or post code.
- Geography and National Statistics - explanatory pages from The Office of National Statistics
- Cassini publish historical Ordnance Survey maps of England and Wales that have been scanned, digitally re-projected and enlarged to match the present-day Landranger© series - and provide Mapmaker, a web-based search facility that allows a user to centre a map on a postcode or placename, ready for downloading or printing.
- British Isles Maps and Views - "free access to high quality scans of rare and beautiful antique maps and views", from MAPCO.
- Detailed scans of 1950s Ordnance Survey Maps - the New Popular Edition (in England and Wales), and the earlier sheets from the 7th Edition (in Scotland / Northern England).
- Detailed scan of the Map of England & Wales by S. Lewis & Co., London c1840, provided by MAPCO.
- Digimap - a subscription service available to UK Higher Educational Institutions that provides online access to "all available County Series maps at 1:2,500 and 1:10560 scales published between 1843 and 1939; and all available National Grid maps at 1:1,250, 1:2,500 and 1:10560/10,000 scales published from 1945".
- FamilySearch's Maps facility can be used to find parishes and see their parish boundaries overlaid on a modern Ordnance Survey map
Return to top of page
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.
[Last updated: 19 April 2015 - Brian Randell]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.