How to find a present day house, street or place in the
(or to find only the Post Code).
Please read all the instructions before
leaving this page.
This page explains how to locate a present day house, street or
place on a map using the Royal Mail web site and the Streetmap site
or the Multimap and Bing site.
In order to locate a building or street on the maps on the Streetmap or the Multimap
and Bing site, you need to be able to obtain the postcode
for the appropriate building/street/place from the Royal Mail site,
make a note of it, and then go to the Streetmap or Multimap and
Bing site and use the postcode to obtain a map.
Remember to use your "Back arrow" in the browser toolbar to
return to this page!
Proceed as follows:
- Go to the Royal Mail Postcode
finder site and fill in the form as appropriate..
- On the page you will need to enter:
- The building number or name (if left blank, you will get a list
of postcodes for the street)
- The Street name (could be left empty if you gave the building
- The place name.
- Press the "Find Postcode" button. You may receive back a
selection of possible places - select the appropriate one.
- You may get back a request to type some letters into a box - to
make sure you aren't a computer.
- You may get a list of all the houses on the relevant street -
select the appropriate one.
- You should then get a page with the complete address
and postcode and a map showing the location of the
- If you need more information copy the post code to the
clipboard (Ctrl C in Windows) or write it down.
- Go to the Streetmap
site and paste (Ctrl V in Windows) or type the post code in the
- Select the place from among the options if you are given
- You will get back a detailed map. Adjusting the zoom out by one
will give you a section of the OS Landranger map.
- Or: go to the Multimap and Bing site
- Select the GB Post Codes from the "Among" list
- Paste (Ctrl V in Windows) or type the post code in the "Search
- If you use Google maps or
Google earth (the latter requires a
- Type a house address in the search and get back either a map or
a satellite view of the relevant house.
If I've written confusing instructions or they cease to work,
please drop me a
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be
used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions
concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on
individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered
to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation
that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence
threaten its whole future.
[Last updated: 27 Nov 2014 - Brian Randell.]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.