Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
UK and Ireland Names, Personal
- Who Was Who (the compilation of entries in Who's Who of people alive after 1897) is available by online subscription access (possibly free via your local library) and hard copy.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography is available by online subscription access (possibly free via your local library) and hard copy.
- Wikipedia's Biography Portal.
- Obituaries from Ancestry, Rootsweb.
- For those who may have been mentioned, even if only in passing, in books, see Bibliography
- For people famous or infamous enough to get their names in the newspapers or to have obituaries, or posh enough to announce their births, marriages and deaths, see Newspapers.
- Search engines like Google are always worth a try, although you may have to scroll through many pages of hits.
- Archive and Library catalogues usually have synopses which will often allow you to find a name even if it is not in the book title.
- For those who may have appeared at the Old Bailey Old Bailey Online.
- If you know their occupation, see Occupations. (In particular, for ministers of religion, see under Church Officials).
- Specialised Name Listings
Bardsley, Alan. First name variants. Birmingham: Federation of Family History Societies (2003) 18pp. [ISBN-13: 978-1860061776]
(See also Military History and Occupations.)