Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
UK and Ireland Names, Personal
- Who Was WhoÂ (the compilation of entries inÂ Who's WhoÂ of people alive after 1897)Â is available by online subscription access (possibly free via your local library) and hard copy. Â
- Oxford Dictionary of National BiographyÂ is available by online subscription access (possibly free via your local library) and hard copy.
- Wikipedia's Biography Portal.Â
- Obituaries fromÂ Ancestry, Â Rootsweb. Â
- For those who may have been mentioned, even if only in passing, in books, seeÂ Bibliography
- For people famous or infamous enough to get their names in the newspapers or to have obituaries, or posh enough to announce their births, marriages and deaths, seeÂ Newspapers.
- Search engines like Google are always worth a try, although you may have to scroll through many pages of hits.
- Archive and LibraryÂ cataloguesÂ usually have synopses which will often allow you to find a name even if it is not in the book title.
- For those who may have appeared at the Old BaileyÂ Old Bailey Online.
- If you know their occupation, seeÂ Occupations. (In particular, for ministers of religion, seeÂ under Church Officials).
- Specialised Name Listings
Bardsley, Alan. First name variants. Birmingham: Federation of Family History Societies (2003) 18pp. [ISBN-13: 978-1860061776]
(See also Military History and Occupations.)