United Kingdom and Ireland
- The relevance of surnames in genealogy (archived copy) provided by the Society of Genealogists gives some interesting background information.
- The GENUKI Surnames List index and Mailing List Index provide county by county listings with links to appropriate pages or information.
- PublicProfiler - "The world family name mapping website uses many new and up to date sources to tell you where in the world people with your family name are found. Additionally, we provide lots of interesting facts and figures about the people who share your family name".
- Names extracted from the book "THE GREAT DAYS OF THE CANALS" by Anthony Burton.
- The names of actors and actresses who died pre 1930 and who are listed in the book "WHO'S WHO IN THE THEATRE" edited by John PARKER and printed in 1930.
- Family Chronicle have provided an interesting article by John Kennedy entitled: British Surnames: First-names, Localities, Occupations, Nicknames. The site also provides The Agincourt Honor Roll - a list of nearly 1000 participants in this 1415 battle.
- Indexes to parish returns towards the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral, ca.1678 in the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.
- Common forename variations are described in: First name variants by Alan Bardsley - Birmingham: Federation of Family History Societies, 1996 1992. ISBN: 1860060242 (pbk).
- Nicknames and Naming Traditions.
- Thesaurus of British Surnames (archived copy) - "an on-going project to develop and manage an online thesaurus of British surname variants".
- The Surname Thesaurus - "a technology for finding Surname and Forename variants".
- A Surname Thesaurus giving variants of more than 2,000,000 distinct surnames. This is made available by Image Partners Ltd.
- Marion Hebblethwaite's George Cross Database lists and provides information about recipients.
- A variety of name listings were produced by the late Ted Wildy and are available online, including:
- The Original Record.com provides free surname searches of "1,000 years of unusual records that have not been accessible before", and the ability to purchase scans taken the original documents.
- Celtic Surname Maps - Surname Distribution Maps for Britain and the Isle of Man, provided by Barry Griffin.
(See also Military History and Occupations.)
Return to top of page
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.
[Last updated: 13 Sep 2014 - Brian Randell]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.