Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
UK and Ireland Newspapers
- Richard Heaton provides a very useful Index of British and Irish Online Digitalised Newspapers - lists of all the titles of British and Irish Newspapers (31 different collections covering 17th to 21st Century) now available online, providing links, subscription details and dates covered.
- The British Library Newspaper Collection aims to hold copies of all UK (and some foreign) newspapers:
- Search the catalogue (set "Material type" to "Newspapers"). This searches the titles, not content.
- Their reading room in Boston Spa provides free access to "the only large, integrated, national newspaper service in the world, combining facilities for the collection, preservation, and use of newspapers all on one site".
- The Library provides, in collaboration with FindMyPast, online (subscription) access, to their newspaper collection, through the British Newspaper Archive service. (As of July 2016 this had 656 titles online - see their coverage and video guide.)
- The British Library's British Newspapers 1800-1900 - "managed by Gale Cengage, contains 49 national and local titles with two million pages of searchable digitised content". (Accessible to subscribing libraries and UK further and higher education institutions.)
- Background material: The Library's Concise History of the British Newspaper, century by century.
- Newsplan - a co-operative programme (involving between public libraries, the British Library, the National Library of Scotland, the National Library of Wales, the National Library of Ireland, and the newspaper industry) for the microfilming and preservation of local newspapers and for making them accessible to users; links are provided to regional Newsplan projects, a number of which have already produced extensive online catalogues.
- The London, Edinburgh, and Belfast Gazettes are the official newspapers of record in the United Kingdom. As well as the current editions, the website includes searchable archives of the complete gazettes from WW1 and WW2 containing medal awards, army and navy commissions, promotions and much more.
- The Newspaper Society's online Regional Press Database lists regional and local newspapers in the UK.
- British Media Online - All the national and regional newspapers published online.
- UK Press Archive - includes Daily Mirror, Daily Express, The Church Times, and more (accessible to subscribing libraries and UK further and higher education institutions.)
- Bev Edmonds has transcribed these Extracts from Various Late 19th & Early 20th Century Newspapers (archived copy).
- Ancestry's Newspapers & Periodicals Collection - includes The Times, The Gentleman's Magazine Library, and many more (subscription)
- UK & Ireland Newspaper Obituary Notices - a free search facility provided by Ancestry of obituaries collected automatically from recent online editions of newspapers.
- Historical Newspapers - a (subscription) service incorporating The Official Index to The Times, Palmer's Index to the Times, The Historical Index to The New York Times, and Palmer's Full Text Online, 1785-1870.
- The Nineteenth-Century Serials Edition (ncse) is a free, online edition of six nineteenth-century periodicals and newspapers: The Monthly Repository and Unitarian Chronicle, The Northern Star, The Leader, The English Woman's Journal, The Tomahawk, and The Publishers' Circular.
- Richard Heaton's Newspaper Collection - "Extracts and full Transcripts of mainly English and Irish, Georgian and early Victorian Regional Newspapers"
- Internet Library of Early Journals - a project that digitised 20 years or more of The Annual Register, Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine, The Builder, The Gentlemen's Magazine, Notes and Queries, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society (free).
- Gales News Vault - provides simultaneous searching "across The Times Digital Archive, 17th and 18th Century Burney Collection, Financial Times Historical Archive, The Economist Historical Archive, and many more" (subscribing libraries)
- The Waterloo Directory of English Newspapers and Periodicals (1800-1900) - "a subject-inclusive, language-inclusive bibliography of 73,000 publications, 68,000 personal names".
- Australia Trove - a large searchable collection of scanned and digitised historical Australian newspapers.
- The Guardian and Observer digital archive - "1.2 million replica pages of the Guardian and Observer dating back to 1791" (subscription).
- Newspapers in Family History, by Richard Ratcliffe.