United Kingdom and Ireland
- The British Library Newspaper Library at Colindale houses the national archive collection in the United Kingdom of British and overseas newspapers - "the only large, integrated, national newspaper service in the world, combining facilities for the collection, preservation, and use of newspapers all on one site".
- Newsplan - a co-operative programme for the microfilming and preservation of local newspapers and for making them accessible to users; provides links to regional Newsplan projects, a number of which have already produced extensive online catalogues.
- The British Library Newspapers Digitisation Project - British Newspapers 1800-1900 - "British Newspapers 1800-1900, managed by Gale Cengage, contains 49 national and local titles with two million pages of searchable digitised content".
- The London, Edinburgh, and Belfast Gazettes are the official newspapers of record in the United Kingdom. As well as the current editions, the website includes searchable archives of the complete gazettes from WW1 and WW2 containing medal awards, army and navy commissions, promotions and much more.
- The Newspaper Society's online Regional Press Database lists regional and local newspapers in the UK.
- British Media Online - All the national and regional newspapers published online.
- Kidon Media-Link provide links to News sources from the United Kingdom.
- Bev Edmonds has transcribed these Extracts from Various Late 19th & Early 20th Century Newspapers (archived copy).
- UK & Ireland Newspaper Obituary Notices - a free search facility provided by Ancestry of obituaries collected automatically from recent online editions of newspapers.
- Historical Newspapers - a (subscription) service incorporating The Official Index to The Times, Palmer's Index to the Times, The Historical Index to The New York Times, and Palmer's Full Text Online, 1785-1870.
- The Nineteenth-Century Serials Edition (ncse) is a free, online edition of six nineteenth-century periodicals and newspapers: The Monthly Repository and Unitarian Chronicle, The Northern Star, The Leader, The English Woman's Journal, The Tomahawk, and The Publishers' Circular.
- Richard Heaton's Newspaper Collection - "Extracts and full Transcripts of mainly English and Irish, Georgian and early Victorian Regional Newspapers"
- Richard Heaton also provides an Index of British and Irish Online Digitalised Newspapers - lists of all the titles of British and Irish Newspapers (20 different collections covering 17th to 21st Century) now available online.
- Australia Trove - a large searchable collection of scanned and digitised historical Australian newspapers.
Return to top of page
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
|Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.
[Last updated: 9 Jun 2014 - Brian Randell]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.