We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Administrative Areas of Scotland
The first table below shows the historic counties and their administrative sub-divisions before the first round of changes and lists the successor regions for each, that is the post-change regions which contain some or all of the original county area. The second table shows the regions after the first round of changes and lists their successor unitary authorities. In all cases only the top-tier authority is shown - either the top-tier in a two-tier arrangement or a single tier authority (shown italicised).
The tables also show the Chapman County Codes (CCC) for each county and region. These are unique 3 letter codes.
For a brief description of the administrative changes in the United Kingdom see - Local Government Changes in the United Kingdom.
The following abbreviations are used in these tables:
|(C)||County of a City|
Single-tier local authorities are shown italicised.
The links in the following table are to outline maps showing the location of each county.
|Scotland - changes of 1996|
|Administration 1975-1996||CCC||Successor Unitary Authorities|
|Borders||BOR||The Scottish Borders (U)|
|Dumfries and Galloway||DGY||Dumfries and Galloway (U)|
Aberdeen City (U)
|Highland (8)||HLD||Highland (U)|
|Lothian||LTN||City of Edinburgh (U)|
East Lothian (U)
West Lothian (U)
|Orkney (5)||OKI||Orkney Islands (U)|
|Shetland (7)||SHI||Shetland Islands (U)|
|Strathclyde (9)||STD||Argyll and Bute (U)|
City of Glasgow (U)
East Ayrshire (U)
East Dunbartonshire (U)
East Renfrewshire (U)
North Ayrshire (U)
North Lanarkshire (U)
South Ayrshire (U)
South Lanarkshire (U)
West Dunbartonshire (U)
Dundee City (U)
Perth and Kinross (U)
|Western Isles (10)||WIS||Western Isles (U)|
- An old name for Angus is "Forfarshire".
- Includes islands: Islay, Jura and Mull.
- Consists of islands Arran and Bute.
- Includes islands: Lewis (part), North Uist, South Uist, and Skye.
- Also "Orkney Isles", or "Orkney Islands", but NOT "The Orkneys"!
- Includes part of the island of Lewis.
- Also "Shetland Isles", or "Shetland Islands", but NOT "The Shetlands"! Originally known as "Zetland".
- Includes the island of Skye.
- Includes islands: Arran, Bute, Islay, Jura and Mull.
- Includes islands: Lewis, North Uist and South Uist.
© GENUKI and Contributors 1993, 1997
Page created by Phil Lloyd in January 1993. Revised and updated in September 1997 by Brian Pears.