"AMPTHILL, a parish and market town in the hundred of Redbornestoke, in the county of Bedford, 8 miles to the south of Bedford, and 45 miles from London, or 59 miles by rail. It is a station on the Bedford branch of the London and North Western railway. The town stands in a pleasant situation, between two hills, and is nearly in the centre of the county. The manor of Ampthill, belonged, at an early period, to the Pointz family, and Henry III. granted the privilege of holding a market here, to Nicholas Pointz and Joan his wife. This manor, with others, was given by Henry VI. to Sir John Cornwall, afterwards created Lord Fanhope, who married the king's sister, Elizabeth of Lancaster. A castle was erected on the domain, by Lord Fanhope, which reverted to the crown in the reign of Edward IV. He conferred it on Lord Grey, of Ruthin, Earl of Kent, from whose descendants it passed again to the crown about 1530, and became the palace of King Henry VIII. He constituted the manor the "Honor of Ampthill."" (There is more of this description).