Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"ARLESEY, a parish in the hundred of Clifton, in the county of Bedford, 4 miles to the south east of Shefford. It is a station on the Great Northern railway, 5 miles from Hitchin; Baldock is its post town. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value with the rectory of Astwick, £420, in the patronage of James Curtis, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and contains several monuments, and a font with sculptures in several compartments. Arlsey was formerly a market-town. There is an ancient entrenchment at Etonbury, on the Baldock road. Arlsey House is the principal residence."
"CHURCH END, a village in the parish of Arlesey, county of Bedfordshire, 2½ miles north of Arlesey."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Church of England
- The church of St.Peter is a plain edifice, of stone, in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south chapel, south porch and a massive western tower of stone, pebbles and cement, erected in 1877 and containing 5 bells: the font has an octagonal basin, the sides of which are richly panelled and carved, and below are figures of cherubim; there are two stained windows, in the chancel, and one at the west end: the church contains some fine marble monuments to the Brown and Edwards families. The register of baptisms dates from 1538; marriages and burials 1559. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- The Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1850, will seat 300, and there is, a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1875. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Arlesey which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL192357 (Lat/Lon: 52.006902, -0.264779), Arlesey which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Arlesey War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it.