GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

ASPLEY-GUISE

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"ASPLEY-GUISE, a parish in the hundred of Manshead, in the county of Bedford, 2 miles to the north of Woburn, its post town. It is situated in a hilly and pleasant country on the borders of Buckinghamshire. Fuller's earth was formerly obtained here; but the ancient pit has long been disused, and is now adorned with fine trees. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £325, in the patronage of the Duke of Bedford. The church is dedicated to St. Botolph. There is an altar tomb in the chancel with the figure of a knight, and a brass of one of the Guises, to whom the manor belonged, and who had their seat here. Aspley Wood, which is the property of the Duke of Bedford, is one of the finest pieces of woodland now in England. Aspley-Guise House and Aspley House are the principal residences."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Military History

Societies

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014