|Barton in the Clay
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831] (unless otherwise stated)
"BARTON IN THE CLAY, a parish in the hundred of FLITT, county of BEDFORD, 3¼ miles (south) from Silsoe, containing 668 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £26.9.7., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. A school is endowed with property producing about £50 per annum, the bequest of Edward Willes, in 1807, for the instruction of forty poor children."