BARTON IN THE CLAY:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"BARTON IN THE CLAY, a parish in the hundred of FLITT, county of BEDFORD, 3 miles (S.) from Silsoe, containing 668 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry, of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £26. 9. 7., and in the patronage of the Crown, The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. A school is endowed with property producing about £ 50 per annum, the bequest of Edward Willes, in 1807, for the instruction of forty poor children."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]