[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"BARTON-IN-THE-CLAY, (or Barton-le-clay), a parish in the hundred of Flitt, in the county of Bedford, 6 miles to the north of Luton. Silsoe is its post town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £400, in the patronage of the crown. The church contains a monumental brass, and is dedicated to St. Nicholas. There is an endowed school, founded in 1807 by Edward Willis, for 40 children. It has an income of £50. There are several other charities.
"CHURCH END, a hamlet in the parish of Barton in the Clay, county of Bedfordshire, ¼ mile south east of Barton in the Clay."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013