Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"BATTLESDEN, a parish in the hundred of Manshead, in the county of Bedford, 3 miles to the south east of Woburn. The Roman road called Watling Street passes through it. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, united with the rectory of Potsgrove, of the value of £509, in the patronage of the trustees of Sir G. Page Turner, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Battlesden Park, formerly the seat of the Bathursts, who take from this place the title of Baron, was purchased by Sir Gregory Page, Bart., in 1724, and is now the seat of his descendant, Sir E. H. P. Turner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Church of England
- The church of St. Peter is an interesting structure of the 15th century, chiefly Perpendicular, and consisting of chancel and nave and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: in 1868 the chancel was re-covered with a pointed roof in place of the old debased Tudor roof, and the nave restored and reseated: on each side of the east window are two fine brackets, slightly varying, with figures of angels with wings displayed: the font is Early English: here are monuments to the Duncombes, and a memorial window to the Page-Turner family: in 1898 the tower was repaired, and new battlements placed around the church: there are 80 sittings. The register dates from the year 1719. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Battlesden which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP959292 (Lat/Lon: 51.952989, -0.605934), Battlesden which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Battlesden War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it.