[Transcribed information from Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer of England - 1750] (unless otherwise stated)
"BATTLESDON, (Bedfordshire) a little to the N.W. of Hockley-in-the-Hole, and on the Roman road, called Watling-street, 12 m. S.W. of Bedford. The Duncombs were formerly its Lds. but lately the Bathurst family, who have the title of Baron from this, which was also their seat; but it is now that of Thomas Page, Esq; who married a daughter of the late Ld. Visc. How, and is daily improving it by additional works in a fine taste."