"BATTLESDEN, a parish in the hundred of Manshead, in the county of Bedford, 3 miles to the south east of Woburn. The Roman road called Watling Street passes through it. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, united with the rectory of Potsgrove, of the value of £509, in the patronage of the trustees of Sir G. Page Turner, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Battlesden Park, formerly the seat of the Bathursts, who take from this place the title of Baron, was purchased by Sir Gregory Page, Bart., in 1724, and is now the seat of his descendant, Sir E. H. P. Turner."