[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835] (unless otherwise stated)
"BEDFORD, a borough and market-town, having separate jurisdiction, in the county of BEDFORD, of which it is the capital, 50 miles (N. N. W.) from London, containing 5466 inhabitants. This place, called by the later Britons Lettuydur, and by the Saxons Bedanord (both which terms are expressive of its characr ter as a place of public accommodation at the passage of a river), derives its name from its situation near an ancient ford on the river Ouse. In 571) a battle was fought here, between the Britons and the West Saxons, the latter being commanded by Ceolfulf, brother of Ceawlin, third king of Wessex, in which the Britons were defeated with considerable loss. " (There is more of this description).