BEDFORD ST. MARY
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"BEDFORD ST. MARY, a parish in the town of Bedford."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2003
- St. Mary's Church, Bedford.
- Church of England
St. Mary's Church is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the
Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles,
transepts, north and west porches and an embattled eastern tower with pinnacles,
containing a clock and 6 bells: the tower is a very good example of Norman work:
the north aisle was built of the materials of a church called St. Peter Dunstable,
which formerly stood in St. Mary's square: in 1853 a vestry and south aisle were
added by subscription: the stained east and west windows are memorials and there
are numerous mural tablets: in 1882 the chancel roof was renewed by the present
rector, and one window of the chancel re-opened and restored: the mortuary chapel,
on the north side of the chancel, was also enlarged, and new roofed, and is now
used as an organ chamber: the church plate includes a chalice, dated 1570, and a
paten, dated 1685: the church will seat 550 persons, including 100 children. The
register dates from the year 1540. The living is a rectory, yearly value £436,
with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln (two turns), and of Balliol
College, Oxford (one turn), and held since 1895 by the Rev. George Henry Pratt
M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford.
[Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014