[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"BLETSOE, a parish in the hundred of Willey, in the county of Bedford, 6
miles to the north west of Bedford, its post town. It lies on the banks of the
river Ouse, and was the site of a castle belonging, in the 14th century, to
the Pateshulls and Beauchamps. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of
Ely, of the value of £316, in the patronage of Lord St. John, of Bletsoe.
The church is dedicated to St. Mary. It contains the tombs of the St. John
family, with monuments to Sir John St. John, and Frances, Countess of
Bolingbroke. The remains of the ancient seat of the Lords St. John, of
Bletsoe, is now a farmhouse. The parochial charities produce about £13 per
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"BOURNE END, a hamlet in the parish of Bletsoe, county of Bedfordshire,
2½ miles north of Bletsoe."
"NORTH END, a hamlet in the parish of Bletsoe, county of Bedfordshire,
1 mile north of Bletsoe."
by Colin Hinson ©2003
- Church of England
The church of St. Mary is an ancient cruciform structure, chiefly in the Decorated style, and was restored in 1868, at a cost of about £1,700: it consists of chancel, nave, north transept, or St. John chapel, small south transept, south porch and a
central tower with plain parapet containing a clock and 5 bells, all cast in 1786 : there are three sedilia on the south side of the chancel, and a double piscina in the north transept, which also contains some fine monuments of the family of St, John, Earls of Bolingbroke; the first on the south wall consists of a panelled base, supporting two Corinthian columns, on which rests a slightly projecting flat canopy, surmounted by a quartered shield; within are kneeling figures of Sir John St. John, 1559, and
Margaret (Waldegrave), his wife and 9 children: on the east wall is another monument, elaborately carved, with cornice, pediment and arms, to Frances, Countess Bolingbroke, 1678, and there are many others of the family down to 1887: there are also memorials to several of the late rectors, and to Arabella, wife of C. C. Vivian esq. 1673: in June, 1882, a reredos was erected to the
memory of St. Andrew Beauchamp, 14th Baron St. John, d. 27 Jan. 1874: the east window was placed to the Rev. the Hon. Edmund Tudor St. John and late rector, who died 30 Sept. 1884, and there is another to St. Andrew, 15th baron, d. 2 Nov. 1887: the reredos occupies the whole width of the chancel, and under canopies on each side is an arcade of four arches: on the north wall of the nave is a painting of St. George and the Dragon: a new organ has been placed in the church, at a cost of £200, raised by subscr
iption: there are 190 sittings. The register dates from the year 1582.
[Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the
Bletsoe War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it.
This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014