GENUKI Home page    Blunham Parish<br>main page Blunham
Parish
main page

BLUNHAM:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.

[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831]
(unless otherwise stated)

" BLUNHAM, a parish (fomerly a market town) in the hundred of WIXAMTREE, county of BEDFORD, 5¼ miles (north-north-west) from Biggleswade, containing, with the hamlet of Moggerhanger, 945 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's book at £46.2.11., and in the patronage of Countess de Grey. The church, dedicated to St. Edmund, contains several ancient monuments to the memory of different members of the families of Longueville and Bromsall. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. The market, which was on Wednesday, and a fair on the festival of St. James were granted in 1315. The navigable river Ouse runs on the western, and the Ivel on the eastern, side of the parish. There is a mineral spring, called Poplarwell but the water is not used for medicinal puposes."

"CHALTON, a small hamlet in the parish of Blunham. With Moggerhanger was formed into a civil parish from Blunham (see Moggerhanger)."

[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards 2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014