We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Bromham, Bedfordshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"BROMHAM, a parish in the hundred of WILLEY, county of BEDFORD, 3 miles (W.N.W.) from Bedford, containing 298 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese.of Lincoln, rated'in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage ot the Provost and Fellows of Eton College. The church, dedicated to St. Owen, contains some handsome monunients to deceased members of the families of Trevor and Dyne. The village lies on the banks of the river Ouse, over which there is a bridge: it is recorded that the channel of this river, from some unknown cause, was left so bare of water in 1399 and in 1648, that persons walked in it to the distance of three miles. Here is a mineral spring, but in disuse."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]