[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"BROMHAM, a parish in the hundred of Willey, in the county of Bedford, 3
miles to the north west of Bedford. The Midland railway runs near it. The parish
lies on the banks of the river Ouse, which curves round it on three sides
and is crossed by a bridge. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of
Ely, of the value with that of Oakley, of £336, in the patronage of the
Provost and Fellows of Eton College. The church is dedicated to St. Owen.
It contains several brasses and monuments to the families of Trevor and
Dyve. One of the brasses is of earlier date than 1537. The principal
residence is Bromham House, formerly the seat of the Trevors, and lately of
the Viscountess Hampden. It stands in a small and pleasant park."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"BRIDGE END, a hamlet in the parish of Bromham, county of Bedfordshire,
½ mile south of Bromham."
"VICARAGE GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Bromham, county of Bedfordshire,
½mile north west of Bromham."
by Colin Hinson ©2003
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- Church of England
The church of St. Owen, situated in Bromham Park, is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Gothic style of the 13th century, and consists of chancel with vestry on the north, nave, north aisle, north and south porches and a lofty embattled tower containing 6 fine-toned bells, bearing the motto of the Dyve family who were the donors both of the bells and the communion plate: in the Dynevor chapel is an elaborate memorial window to the late Lord Dynevor; in the south wall of the chancel is a piscina, and on the opposite side an aumbry; on a slab in the chancel pavement is a fine palimpsest brass, originally representing a man and his two wives of the early 15th century, but, as now reversed, it commemorates Sir T. Wilde, his wife and mother, with the date 1535 : against the wall of the aisle is a monument of alabaster, with recumbent effigy, clad in armour, of Sir Lewis Dyve, 1603, commander of the Ring's forces for the Newport Pagnell district, during the Great Rebellion; , there are also other interesting
monuments : over the south porch is a small library, and inserted in the wall outside the room is an incised slab, recording the foundation of the library by Thomas Lord Trevor, in 1740: against one of the piers of the nave is an ancient alms box in 1868 the church was restored by the parishioners, the chancel rebuilt at the cost of the Hon. Miss Rice-Trevor, and a chapel erected over the Dynevor family vault by the late Lord Dynevor. The register dates from the year 1570 and the list of incumbents from t
he year 1225.
[Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the
Bromham St Owen War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it.
This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014