Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831]
(unless otherwise stated)
"CADDINGTON, a parish partly in the hundred of FLITT, county of BEDFORD, but chiefly in the hundred of DACORUM, county of HERTFORD, 1¾ mile (west-south-west) from Luton, containing, with a portion of the chapelry of Market-Street, 1549 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £10, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is in Bedfordshire. Market, originally Markgate, Cell, in this parish, was founded in 1145, chiefly by Geoffrey, Abbot of St. Albans, on land given by the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, for nuns of the Benedictine order whose revenue, in the 26th of Henry VIII., was £143.18.3: the proprietor appropriated part of the lands to the endowment of a chapel and a school in Market-Street; but it does not appear that they were ever applied to that purpose."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2013]