Geographical and Historical information from the year 1898.
[Transcribed information from Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire - 1898]
" SLIP END, a hamlet in the parish of Woodside."
"WOODSIDE, a parish and a village on the Herts border of the county, 2 miles south-west from Luton stations on the Midland and Great Northern railways, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Flitt, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Luton, rural deanery of Luton archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely. The parish was formed from the ecclesiastical parish of All Saints, Caddington, in 1892. The church of St. Andrew, erected in 1890, at the cost of the late John Sambrooke Crawley esq. of Stockwood Park, is an edifice of brick and Ancaster stone, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave and a western belfry, containing 4 tubular bells: a memorial window has been erected to the late J. S. Crawley esq. who died in 1895; there are 300 sittings; attached is a burial ground, formed in accordance with the provisions of the Act 50 and 51 Vic. and entered by a lich-gate. The register dates from the year 1890. The living is a vicarage, perpetual curacy; net yearly value, £150, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's; the next turn, however, being in the gift of Francis Crawley esq. J.P.; it has been held since 1890 by the Rev. Philip Hyde, of St. Aidan's. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Baptist chapels. There is a small reading and clubroom here. Madame de Falbe, of Luton Hoo, Francis Crawley esq. of Stockwood Park, and Arthur Macnamara esq. of Billington Manor, are the principal landowners. The land is clayey; sub-soil, heavy clay; the chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The population in 1891 was 1,000."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2013]
[from Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]