GENUKI Home page    Campton Parish<br>main page Campton
Parish
main page

CAMPTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)

"CAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of CLIFTON, county of BEDFORD, 3 miles (N. B. by E.) from Silsoe, containing, with the chapelry of Shefford, 1028 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry or Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £11. 9. 7., and in the patronage of Sir J, Osborne, Bart. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The manor, in which the small village of Campton, formerly called Camelton, is situated, was anciently possessed by the noble family of Lisle; but, upon the estates of this family devolving to the crown, it was annexed to the honour of Ampthill: the manor-house is now occupied as a school-house."

"SHEFFORD, a chapelry (formerly a market-town) in the parish of CAMPTON, hundred of CLIFTON, county of BEDFORD, 9 miles (S. E. by S.) from Bedford, containing 618 inhabitants. The chapel, dedicated to St. Michael, has lately received an addition of two hundred and two free sittings, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £250 towards defraying the expense. The market, which was on Friday, has been discontinued. The river Ivel has been rendered navigable to Biggleswade, by the assistance of a canal recently cut. Robert Bloomfield, the poet, died here in 1823."

[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014