[Transcribed information from Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire - 1898]
" SHEFFORD, is a market town and township in the parish of Campton, with a station on the Bedford and Hitchin branch of the Midland railway, and is 3 miles west from Arlesey and Sheffield Road station on the Great Northern railwav, 6½ north-by-west from Hitchin, 6 south-west from Biggleswade, 9 south-east from Bedford and 38½ from London, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Clifton, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Biggleswade, and rural deanery of Shefford, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely. The river Ivel, an affluent of the Ouse, runs through the town, and affords water communication with Lynn. The town is at the junction of the roads from Baldock and Hitchin to Bedford, and is remarkably clean and healthy, having its streets very wide and well paved and lighted, for which purpose property in houses and land was left in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, by Robert Lucas, gent. who by his will enfeoffed several of the principal inhabitants to carry his intention into effect: the yearly income of this trust is now £200.
Potatoes, onions and other vegetables are largely grown here. The area is 144 acres; rateable value, £2,077 ; the population in 1891 was 990."