GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

CAMPTON

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"CAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of Clifton, in the county of Bedford, 7 miles to the south west of Biggleswade, its post town. It is situated on the banks of the river Ivel, and contains the township of Shefford, which is a station on the Midland (South-East branch) railway. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value with the perpetual curacy of Shefford annexed, £374, in the patronage of Sir G. Osborne, Bart. The church is dedicated to All Saints, and contains monuments to the Osbornes, and a brass of the year 1489. Here, too, lie the remains of Robert Bloomfield, the poet, who spent his last days here, and died in August, 1823. The old manor-house is now used as a school-house. The parochial charities consist chiefly of the Feoffment Estate, which produces about £140 per annum. The parish now forms part of the honour of Ampthill."

"SHEFFORD, a chapelry and market town in the parish of Campton, hundred of Clifton, county Bedford, 9 miles south east of Bedford, and 7 north west of Hitchin. Biggleswade is its post town. It is a station on the Midland railway. The town is situated on the river Ivel, which has been rendered navigable to Biggleswade. It consists of several clean and wide streets, which are well paved and lighted with gas. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the straw plait manufacture. Some specimens of Roman glass have been discovered at Stanford Bury, and other antiquities in this parish, which are preserved in the Fitzwilliam museum at Cambridge. The tithes were commuted in 1797 for land and corn rents under an Enclosure Act. The living is a curacy* annexed to the rect, of Campton, in the diocese of Ely. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There is a parochial school for both sexes, also an infant school. The Wesleyans, Baptists, and Roman Catholics have each a place of worship. Robert Blomfield, the poet, resided here, and was buried at Campton in 1823. The Queen is lady of the manor. Market day is on Fridays. Fairs are held on 23rd January, 6th April, 10th May, and 11th October."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014