Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"CARDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of WixAMTREE, county of BEDFORD, 3 miles (E. S. B.) from Bedford, containing, with the chapelry of East Cotts, 1194 inhabitants. The living is. a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £7.17., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains several ancient monuments, also a tablet in memory of the great philanthropist, John Howard, who lived some years [at this place, and served the office of sheriff for the county in 1773; and a splendid modern monument by Bacon, the last of his works, erected in 1799 to the memory of Samuel Whitbread, Esq., whose family first settled here in 1650, at a house called the Barns. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, and at Cotton End is one for Particular Baptists. The navigable river Ouse runs along the northern side of the parish."
"EASTCOTTS, a chapelry in the parish of CARDINGTON, hundred of WIXAMTREE, county of BEDFORD, 3 miles-(S. E.) from Bedford, containing, with Cotton-End, Harrowden, and Fenlake, 588 inhabitants."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]