GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

CARDINGTON

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"CARDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Wixamtree, in the county of Bedford, 3 miles to the south east of Bedford, its post town. It is situated on the south side of the river Ouse, and is a station on the Midland (South-East branch) railway. The parish includes the chapelry of East Cotts. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £245, in the patron: of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. It contains two monumental brasses, a fine monument, by Bacon, to Samuel Whitbread, the great brewer, and a tablet to the memory of John Howard, the philanthropist, who resided some time at the manor-house in this parish, and died at Cherson in 1796. There is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists. The parochial charities amount to about £28 per annum. The manor-house is the seat of the Whitbreads, who settled at Cardington about 1650."

"CHAPEL END, a hamlet in the parish of Cardington, hundred of Wixamtree, in the county of Bedford, ½ mile north east of Cardington."

"COTTON END, a hamlet in the parish of Cardington, hundred of Wixamtree, in the county of Bedford, 3 miles south east of Bedford."

"EASTCOTTS, a township and chapelry in the parish of Cardington, hundred of Wixamtree, county Bedford, 7 miles west of Biggleswade."

"FENLAKE, a hamlet in the parish of Cardington, hundred of Wixamtree, county Bedford, 1 mile south east of Bedford. The river Ouse flows through the hamlet."

"HARROWDEN, a hamlet in the parish of Cardington, county Beds, 2½ miles south-east of Bedford Bridge, and 8 north west of Biggleswade. It is situated on a branch of the river Ouse."

"HERRING'S GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Cardington, hundred of Wixamtree, in the county of Bedford, 3 miles south of Cardington."

"SHORTSTOWN, a 20th century village, in the parish of Cardington, county of Bedfordshire, 1¼ miles south west of Cardington."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014