We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Carlton, Bedfordshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1831.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831]
(unless otherwise stated)
" CARLTON, a parish in the hundred of WILLEY, county of BEDFORD, 1½ mile (south) from Harrold, containing 429 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, consolidated in 1769 with that of Chellington, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £15.6.8. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains a tablet on which is recorded the long incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Wills, who was minister of Carlton and Chellington three score and ten years. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. This parish was formerly much intermixed with that of Chellington, but, under an act of enclosure in 1801, a distinct boundary has been established."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2013]