[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835] (unless otherwise stated)
"CARLTON, a parish in the hundred of WILLEY, county of BEDFORD, 1 mile (S.) from Harrold, containing 429 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, consolidated in 1769 with that of Chellington, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £15. 6. 8. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains a tablet on which is recorded the long incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Wills, who was minister of Carlton and Chellington three score and ten years. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. This parish was foismerly much intermixed with that of Chellington, but, under an act of enclosure in 1801, a distinct boundary has been established."