We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Chalgrave, Bedfordshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"CHALGRAVE, a parish in the hundred of MANSHEAD, county of BEDFORD, 3¾ miles (N. by W.) from Dunstable, containing 710 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, united in 1772 to the rectory of Hockcliffe, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £12. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a venerable edifice in the ancient style of English architecture, and contains two antique tombs with statues of knights in armour. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists at Tebworth, where was formerly a chapel endowed with thirty-six acres of land. Here is a charity school for forty boys; besides which, four boys from this parish are admitted into Hockcliffe school. There are endowed almshouses for six elderly maidens, and two for six widows."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]