Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"CLAPHAM, a parish forming, with the parishes of Milton-Ernest and Oakley, a detached portion of the hundred of STODDEN, county of BEDFORD, 2 miles (N. W. by N.) from Bedford, containing 204 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £5. 13. 4., endowed with £600 private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Earl of Ashburnham. The church, dedicated to St. Thomas & Becket, is a very ancient structure, with a Norman, or Saxon, tower remarkable for the simplicity and rudeness of its architecture. Clapham was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Oakley; the inhabitants still bury there. Here are charitable donations, producing £20 per annum, for the purpose of apprenticing boys."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]