GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

CLAPHAM

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"CLAPHAM, a parish in the hundred of Stodden, in the county of Bedford, 2 miles north west of Bedford. It is situated on the north side of the river Ouse, and was formerly a chapelry to Oakley. The North-Western railway passes at a short distance from the village, and has a station at Bedford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £270, in the patronage of Lord John Thynne. The church, dedicated to St. Thomas-a-Becket, is an ancient structure with Norman tower. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there are free schools for boys and girls, supported by the Revs. J. Dawson and J. Donne. There are some small charities. Clapham Park, the seat of Earl Ashburnham, is noted as the place where Dr. Hammond, in 1648, was prisoner."

"CLAPHAM FOLLY, a hamlet in the parish of Clapham, county of Bedfordshire, 1 mile north east of Clapham."

"CLAPHAM GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Clapham, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile north east of Clapham."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014