[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831] (unless otherwise stated)
"CLIFTON, a parish in the hundred Of CLIFTON, county of BEDFORD, 1½ mile (north-east) from Shefford, containing 483 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the kings books at £20.2.11., and in the patronage of the Rev. D.J. Olivier. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains some ancient monumental brasses, and a fine altar-tomb in memory of Sir Michael Fisher, who died lord of the minor in 1549. The river Ivel, lately made navigable, runs through the parish. There is a day and Sunday school, founded and endowed in 1827, by the late rector, the Rev. D. S. Olivier, for eighteen children."