[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835] (unless otherwise stated)
"CLIFTON, a parish in the hundred of CLIFTON, county of BEDFORD, l£ mile (E. by N.) from Shefford, containing 483 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £20.1.11., and in the patronage of the Rev. D. J. Olivier. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains some ancient monumental brasses, and a fine altar-tomb in memory of Sir Michael Fisher, who died lord of the manor in 1549. The river Ivel, lately made navigable, runs through the parish. There is a day and Sunday school, founded and endowed in 1S27, by the late rector, the Rev. D. S. Olivier, for eighteen children."