"CLIFTON, a parish in the hundred of Clifton, in the county of Bedford, 1½ mile east of Shefford, its post town, and 4 from Biggleswade. The Great Northern railway has a station at Shefford-road, and the Leicester and Hitchin section of the Midland one at Shefford. It is situated on the west bank of the river Ivel. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £439, in the patronage of H. Miles, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a stone structure, and contains a brass dated 1528. The charities amount to £12 per annum. Henry Palmer, Esq., is lord of the manor. Clifton Spinnies is a meet for the Oakley hounds."