[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"CLOPHILL, a parish in the hundred of Flitt, in the county of Bedford, 8 miles south of Bedford, and 3 east of Ampthill, its post town and railway station. It is situated on the Ivel, a tributary to the river Ouse. The living is a rectory's in the diocese of Ely, value £422, in the patronage of Earl do Grey. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1848. It is a handsome Gothic structure. There is a National school. Earl de Grey is lord of the manor. Here was formerly a priory, and there are still remains of the old castle of the Albini at Castle Hill. The tower and nave of the old church are left standing for the purpose of performing burial service. The Church Estate produces £16 per annum, applied to the repairs of the church. The poor's land produces about £35 per annum, and the common rights about £18, which is distributed to the poor."
"BEADLOW, a farm house in the parish of Clophill, ¾ mile east of Clophill."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013