Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Clophill, Bedfordshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"CLOPHILL, a parish in the hundred of FLITT, county of BEDFORD, 1½ mile (N. by E.) from Silsoe, containing 838 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £ 12, and in the patronage of the Countess De Grey. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, stands upon an eminence at some distance from the village. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The river Ivel passes through the parish. At Cainhoe are vestiges of the ancient moated castle of the Barons d'Albini; the hill on which it stood is high and steep, and overgrown with coppice wood. Here was a religious house, probably a cell to St. Alban's abbey."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]