[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835] (unless otherwise stated)
"CLOPHILL, a parish in the hundred of FLITT, county of BEDFORD, if mile (N. byE.) from Silsoe, containing 838 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £ 12, and in the patronage of the Countess De Grey. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, stands upon an eminence at some distance from the village. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The river Ivel passes through the parish. At Cainhoe are vestiges of the ancient moated castle of the Barons d'Albini; the hill on which it stood is high and steep, and overgrown with coppice wood. Here was a religious .house, probably a cell to St. Alban's abbey."