GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Bedfordshire Bedfordshire   NeighboursNearby places

CLOPHILL

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"CLOPHILL, a parish in the hundred of Flitt, in the county of Bedford, 8 miles south of Bedford, and 3 east of Ampthill, its post town and railway station. It is situated on the Ivel, a tributary to the river Ouse. The living is a rectory's in the diocese of Ely, value £422, in the patronage of Earl do Grey. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1848. It is a handsome Gothic structure. There is a National school. Earl de Grey is lord of the manor. Here was formerly a priory, and there are still remains of the old castle of the Albini at Castle Hill. The tower and nave of the old church are left standing for the purpose of performing burial service. The Church Estate produces £16 per annum, applied to the repairs of the church. The poor's land produces about £35 per annum, and the common rights about £18, which is distributed to the poor."

"BEADLOW, a farm house in the parish of Clophill, ¾ mile east of Clophill."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Gazetteers

Military History

This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014