[Transcribed information from Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire - 1898]
"COCKAYNE HATLEY, a parish and small village, bordering on Cambridgeshire, 3 miles east from the Potton station of the North Western railway, 6 north-east from Biggleswade and 9 south-east from St. Neots, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county count district of Biggleswade, rural deanery of Biggleswade, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely.
Cockayne Hatley House, the residence of the Marquess of Granby, is a mansion of brick, standing in a park of about 100 acres. Henry J. Cockayne Cust esq. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is strong clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley, beans and peas. The area is 1,178 acres; rateable value, £1,021; population in 1891: was 104.
Under the provisions of the "Divided Parishes Act, 1882," a detached part of this parish has been transferred to Wrestlingworth. "