[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"COPLE, a parish in the hundred of Wixamtree, in the county of Bedford, 4 miles south east of Bedford, its post town and railway station. It is situated on a branch of the river Ouse. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £215, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient square structure, and contains brasses and monuments from 1380. Here is a free school, chiefly supported by the Duke of Bedford, who is lord of the manor, and has a large mansion here. It was here that Butler wrote part of his "Hudibras." Cope Hall was lately the residence of the Earl of Ludlow."
"WATER END, a hamlet in the parish of Cople, county of Bedfordshire, 1 mile south of Cople."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013