Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"CRANFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Redbornestoke, in the county of Bedford, 5½ miles north west of Ampthill, and 8 south west of Bedford. Near the village, which is large, is a mineral spring. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £376, in the patronage of James C. Harter, Esq. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is a large and beautiful building in the Gothic style of architecture, with a tower containing six bells. The charities amount to £106 per annum, of which £60 is the endowment of Girton's school. Here is a National school, and almshouses for three poor widows. The Oakley hounds meet here. J. A. Partridge, Esq., is lord of the manor. The dukes of Dorset took from this place the title of baron."
The 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Cranfield is to be found on a supplementary page.
- Bourne End
- Broad Green
- East End
- Gossardss Green
- Tartlett End
- West End
- Wharley End
- Wood End
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Church of England
- The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a building of coarse limestone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry with chamber over it, and a tower containing 5 bells, half turned and rehung in Feb. 1892: the interior was restored by the late Rev. George Gardner Harter, rector 1845-72: the stained east window, by Willement, was the gift of the late J. C. Harter: the west window, also stained, is filled with heraldic glass, and there are 6 other stained windows : the church is seated with richly carved oak benches: on the north side of the communion table is a brass to the Rev. James. Beard M.A. rector from 1820, and on the south are sedilia and piscina: there are also piscinae at the east ends of the aisles and a stoup, anciently used for holy water, just inside the south doorway : the pulpit of Caen stone and marble is a memorial to the Rev. G. G. Harter, rector, d. 1872: and his wife, and was presented by their children in 1882: the lych gate was the gift of the late J. C. Harter esq. : a font was presented as a memorial to Capt. Douglas Douglas Loftus, Oct. 1892, and a brass eagle lectern, at Christmas, 1891, by Mrs. Hill. The register dates from the year 1600. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- There are Wesleyan and two Baptist chapels. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Cranfield which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP955422 (Lat/Lon: 52.069904, -0.608131), Cranfield which are provided by:
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Cranfield War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it