[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"CRANFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Redbornestoke, in the county of
Bedford, 5½ miles north west of Ampthill, and 8 south west of Bedford. Near the
village, which is large, is a mineral spring. The living is a rectory* in
the diocese of Ely, value £376, in the patronage of James C. Harter, Esq.
The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is a large and beautiful
building in the Gothic style of architecture, with a tower containing six
bells. The charities amount to £106 per annum, of which £60 is the
endowment of Girton's school. Here is a National school, and almshouses for
three poor widows. The Oakley hounds meet here. J. A. Partridge, Esq., is
lord of the manor. The dukes of Dorset took from this place the title of
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
The 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Cranfield
is to be found on a supplementary page.
- Bourne End
- Broad Green
- East End
- Gossardss Green
- Tartlett End
- West End
- Wharley End
- Wood End
by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- Church of England
The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a building of coarse limestone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry with chamber over it, and a tower containing 5 bells, half turned and rehung in Feb. 1892: the interior was restored by the late Rev. George Gardner Harter, rector 1845-72: the stained east window, by Willement, was the gift of the late J. C. Harter: the west window, also stained, is filled with heraldic glass, and there are 6 other stained windows : the church is seated with richly carved oak benches: on the north side of the communion table is a brass to the Rev. James. Beard M.A. rector from 1820, and on the south are sedilia and piscina: there are also piscinae at the east ends of the aisles and a stoup, anciently used for holy water, just inside the south doorway : the pulpit of Caen stone and marble is a memorial to the Rev. G. G. Harter, rector, d. 1872: and his wife, and was presented by their children in 1882: the lych gate was the gift of the la
te J. C. Harter esq. : a font was presented as a memorial to Capt. Douglas Douglas Loftus, Oct. 1892, and a brass eagle lectern, at Christmas, 1891, by Mrs. Hill. The register dates from the year 1600.
[Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- There are Wesleyan and two Baptist chapels.
[Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the
Cranfield War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it
This page was originally generated by Martin Edwards in 2003 and maintained by him until 2009
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014