[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"DEAN, a parish in the hundred of Stodden, in the county of Bedford, 9 miles north of St. Neot's, and 12 north of Bedford. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £125, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, square tower, and spire, and has a beautiful carved oak roof, and a brass to Canon Parker. The charities amount to £69 per annum. There is a free school, founded by Joseph Neale in 1702. At Nether Dean there is a Wesleyan chapel. By the Act 40 George III., the tithes of this and of the adjoining parish of Over Dean were commuted for land and a money payment. Lord St. John is lord of the manor."
"LOWER DEAN, (or Nether Dean) a hamlet in the parish of Dean, hundred of Stodden, in the county of Bedford, 4 miles west of Kimbolton, 1½ miles north of Upper Dean.
"UPPER DEAN, (or Over Dean) a hamlet in the parish of Dean, hundred of Stodden, in the county of Bedford, 4 miles west of Kimbolton, 1½ miles south of Lower Dean.
The church of All Saints, situated in Upper Dean, is a building of mixed styles, chiefly Decorated and Perpendicular, and consists of chancel, clerestoriod nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and a Decorated western tower, with short octagonal spire relieved bv two tiers of small dormers, containing 4 bells and a clock : the chancel, aisles, clerestory and roof are Perpendicular, the chancel arch is Early English, the nave arches Decorated; the roof, a fine open one, has very richly carved bosses and figures of angels, and the wall plates are ornamented with foliage and shields: in the north aisle is a cinquefoiled sepulchral recess and a hagioscope; and in the south porch a holy water stoup : in the south aisle is a piscina, and an altar-tomb with brass to Sir Thomas Parker, prebendary of the collegiate church of St. Mary in Shrewsbury, and rector of Dean, who died in 1501: there is also a monument to Francis Dillingham, rector here, and one of the translators of the Bible, dated 1593; and a record of Joseph Neales educational endowment, left in 1702: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1566. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
There is a Wesleyan chapel at Nether Dean, erected in 1846, and a Congregational chapel at Upper Dean, built at the sole cost of William Ackroyd esq. in 1863. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]