Geographical and Historical information from the year 1898.
[Transcribed information from Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire - 1898]
"DEAN, a parish and village divided into Nether and Upper Dean, on the borders of Northamptonshire and Hunts, 4 miles west from Kimbolton station on the Kettering and Huntingdon section of the Midland railway, 14 north from Bedford and 6 south-east from Higham Ferrers, in the Northern division of the county, Sharnbrook petty sessional division, hundred of Stodden, union of St. Neots, county court district of Thrapston, rural deanery of Risely, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely.
In this parish is the three-shire stone which stands close to the junction of the counties of Beds, Hunts and Northamptonshire. Lord St. John is lord of the manor. John William Rawson-Ackroyd esq. of the Grange, and Fitzgerald Verity Dalton esq. J.P. are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, principally clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans and peas, The area is 2,472 acres; rateable value, £2,184; the population in 1891 was 406."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2013]
[from Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]